May 2008 - present
Researched, conceptualized, filmed (in Bangladesh, Jamaica, Kenya, South Africa, and North Carolina), structured, and edited educational videos for the nonprofit organizations Family Health International, FHI 360, Futures Group, MEASURE Evaluation and Piedmont Health Services:
- "Digitalizing Health in Bangladesh," a 9-minute video for MEASURE Evaluation that shows how Bangladesh is transforming how rural health workers work—using digital tables to gather data in less time and with more accuracy:
- https://vimeo.com/158974120. Also available as a 4-minute video.
- "Learning, to Prevent the Next Outbreak," a 10-minute video for MEASURE Evaluation about the 2014 outbreak of Ebola virus in Guinea, and how health experts were concerned that routine health care might suffer because of clinic closures or fears of contracting the virus.
- https://vimeo.com/152664842 (English)
- https://vimeo.com/153122906 (French)
"Ethiopia's Family Folders," a 5-minute video for MEASURE Evaluation about a simple innovation in a paper-based patient tracking system that has helped improve the health of mothers, newborns, and communities:
"The Preventive Technologies Agreement," a series of 5-minute videos about FHI 360's activities under the Preventive Technologies Agreement (PTA), funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development. From 2009 through 2014, the PTA supported accomplishments in HIV prevention research; the integration of HIV prevention and reproductive health technologies; and leadership and support for HIV prevention research, field activities, and product quality and compliance. Available at:
- "Monitoring and Evaluation for Better Lives," a 15-minute video about HIV prevention in Jamaica. Distributed as a DVD (2013). An abbreviated version also available online at: https://vimeo.com/203836528.
- "Saving Lives in Kenya," a 15-minute video for the Government of Kenya about voluntary male circumcision for HIV/AIDS prevention. Distributed as a DVD. Available at: https://www.malecircumcision.org/resource/male-circumcision-saving-lives-kenya.
- "Communications for Clinical Trials." a 30-minute video to train clinical research staff. Approximately 2,000 DVDs distributed.
- "Study of Microbicide Gel Shows Reduced Risk of HIV & Herpes Infection in Women," a 6-minute video. Screened at the XVII International AIDS Conference, and distributed as a DVD and online at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhM47J7b3Gg.
- "Piedmont Health: A Medical Home," a 13-minute video, screened October 9, 2010 at the 40th Anniversary of Piedmont Health Services, Sheraton Imperial, Research Triangle Park. Available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UtgVm6n7XA.
Managing Editor, Network, Family Health International (FHI)
April 2002 - February 2007
Conceptualized all journal issues; wrote approximately one half of all copy; performed substantive editing and copy-editing; integrated review comments into final drafts; resolved editorial conflicts; collaborated with foreign-language editors and production, distribution, and Web site staff; monitored the budget; guided a team effort to meet deadlines; wrote press releases and Web blurbs, and supervised staff.
Senior Science Writer, FHI
December 1997 - April 2002
Wrote and edited various documents related to reproductive health, primarily journal articles, conference proceedings, training modules, press releases, research briefs, and proposals.
Medical Writer, IBAH Inc., Durham, NC
February 1996 - December 1997
Wrote clinical reports and global registration brochures for this contract research organization.
Triangle Editor, Wellness Publishing, Durham, NC
September 1994- September 1995
Wrote articles and took photographs published in two bimonthly and three quarterly editions of a health newsletter for the public (circulation 40,000) and a quarterly medical journal for health professionals (circulation 10,000).
Reporter, Minga newspaper, Banos, Ecuador
January 1993 - June 1994
Helped found, wrote articles, and served on editorial board of this community newspaper.
Freelance Writer, The Tico Times newspaper, San Jose, Costa Rica
September 1988 - May 1989
Science/Environmental Reporter, The Courier-News, Bridgewater, NJ
January 1988 - July 1988
Science/Medical Staff Writer, Durham Morning Herald, Durham, NC
September 1981 - May 1986